Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Magical Rotisserie

The Magical Rotisserie

As much as I would LOVE to be one of those people who can grocery shop for a full week’s worth of meals, it’s just not realistic for me.  I’ve tried, but inevitably I forget something or something goes awry a few days in and I’ll forget to freeze meat and it goes bad.  No, I just can’t do it.  I’ve come to terms with that and really, my comfort zone is somewhere in the “shop for 3 days” ballpark.  Yes, I’m a 2 time per week grocery shopper and that’s just how it is.  “Hi, I’m Melissa and I’m a 2 time a week grocery shopper…”  Anyway, meals still need to be super simple to make and of course budget friendly.  That said – I LOVE LOVE LOVE (did I mention LOVE?) the Rotisserie Chicken.  It’s so darn versatile and you can literally use it for 3 nights of different meals and have leftovers for lunch the next day.   Here are 3 of my favorite recipes along with a shopping list to go with it. 





SHOPPING LIST
  • 1 cooked Rotisserie chicken – you can buy in the deli section of most     grocery stores (hot or cold)
  • 1 bag frozen broccoli florets
  • 1 box Ziti Pasta
  • 1 jar Alfredo (I like Bertolli)
  • 2 pack Boboli pizza crust – already made – usually in the bread  or pasta aisle
  • 1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce ( I LOVE Bertolli 5 Cheese!!)
  • 8 ounce package of shredded mozzarella
  • Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
  • 2 small yellow onions
  • 3 cans chicken broth (any brand)
  • 1 Can Sliced carrots
  • 1 Can sweet peas
  • 1 Package Egg Noodles (any brand)
       



Night 1

Quick & Easy Chicken, Broccoli & Ziti 
    


  •  2 Cups Chicken –diced up
  •  1 bag frozen broccoli florets
  •  1 box Ziti
  •  1 jar Alfredo Sauce


Boil water and cook pasta to al dente.  Meanwhile, defrost broccoli in microwave.  Drain pasta and return to pot, mix in broccoli, chicken and entire jar of Alfredo sauce and simmer for 3 minutes on low or until all ingredients are hot.   I love to serve with some grated parmesan on top.  Serve with a salad and garlic bread for a super easy, but super yummy meal.   We always have some leftover that Brian takes for lunch the next day – it heats up nicely. This is also a great meal if you’re having guests for dinner.  Inexpensive & easy to make…but nobody will know that ;)



Night 2

Buffalo Chicken Pizza



  • Boboli Pizza Crust (located in pasta/sauce aisle of grocery store) – I usually get the 2 pack – it’s cheaper and I make 2 pizzas so we have leftovers for breakfast  lunch!
  • Your favorite tomato sauce (I like Bertolli 5 Cheese)1 jar is enough
  • 1 Package Shredded Mozerrella – use ½ package for each pizza
  •      1-2 Cups shredded rotisserie chicken (1 cup per pizza)
  •  3 Tablespoons Franks Red Hot Sauce  (more or less depending on your taste for spicy!!)
  • 1 Teaspoon Honey (optional – when mixed with the hot sauce it gives it a nice tangy taste and takes off a bit of the spicy edge)
  • 1 small onion


Lay pizza crust on lightly greased baking sheet (I “grease” sheet with ½ teaspoon of olive oil – it’s healthier).  Spoon on half jar of tomato sauce evenly over each crust.  Sprinkle on shredded mozzarella – use ½ package per pizza.  Put shredded chicken into a small bowl (by shredded, I mean that I don’t cut it up with a knife, but instead just tear small pieces off the chicken), add in 3 Tablespoons of the Red Hot Sauce and 1 teaspoon honey– coat chicken evenly.  Spread chicken evenly over pizza.  Slice up small onion and set the rings evenly over pizza.  Bake for 12 minutes at 450 degrees.  Serve with some Blue Cheese dressing on the side.  Make this a meal with a side salad

Night 3


15 minute Homemade Chicken Soup



  •  Meat from thighs and legs of chicken- I use the remainder of what's left  of the chicken…
  •  3 Cans Chicken Broth (any brand)
  •  1 Cup Water
  •  1 cup sliced Carrots – Canned
  •  1 cup Peas – Canned
  •  1 small onion
  •  2 Cups uncooked Egg Noodles
  •  Various spices (use what you have in your pantry…dried oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley, salt & pepper – a dash of some or all -  to taste)




In a large pot, add in chicken broth, water, carrots, peas & diced onion & chicken.  I use the remaining meat on the thighs and legs of the chicken- it works really well in a soup.  Cook on high until it comes to a full boil – add in 2 cups of UNCOOKED egg noodles and boil covered 7-10 minutes.   This is a hearty, healthy soup cooked up in about 15 minutes.  Serve with a chunk of bread for dipping!  If you want to make extra and freeze it, just double the recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment